Yes, you read that right. There are volunteer opportunities to help improve international dental health both for people with and without dental credentials. Call your favorite dentist and get going! From the Charity Guide website:
- The American Dental Association is looking for volunteer dentists to work in Vietnam, Cambodia, Nicaragua, St. Lucia, and India. Opportunities range from 1 to 4 weeks, and some provide room and board.
- Global Humanitarian Expeditions has ongoing dental projects in Nepal that involve both stationary and mobile dental clinics. You don’t need to be a dental professional to volunteer. Projects usually last 2 to 3 weeks.
- MEDICO (Medical, Eye, and Dental International Care Organization) provides free dental care to children in Honduras. Dentists and other dental professionals are always needed, while lay volunteers can assist dentists, scrub instruments, and perform other helpful tasks.
- Amazon-Africa Aid works along with the nonprofit group Fundacao Esperanca to provide dental services in Brazil. Volunteer dentists are needed to work alongside local dentists and hygienists.
- The Christian Dental Society has opportunities in Belarus, China, Haiti, Jamaica, and the Philippines for dental professionals and nonprofessionals. Projects last 1 to 3 weeks.